Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The planned relaxing weekend in Reykjavík turned out to be very busy, but I still feel refreshed after meeting family and friends. When I got here last night by the ferry I had half an hour to get ready for the next adventure. I met the group in Elliðaey, which is the island closest to the mainland and there we stayed over night capturing and marking puffins, Storm Petrels (stormsvölur) and Leach´s Storm Petrels (sjósvölur). The Storm Petrels are the smallest European seabirds and SOOOOOOOO cute... The puffins look like giant mountains in comparison. I spent a lot of time handling them and getting parasites off their wings and they felt like cotton, so small and vulnerable. I almost cried ;) I also got bitten by a puffin and wow they can really hurt... When I was getting off the boat to the slippery island I almost slid into the ocean... my feet got all wet and I almost dragged my saviour Ingvar with me, but we got up and my camera is still unharmed thank goodness... Since I got wet, I got cold and was shivering all night but we had few hours rest in the hut and there I found dry woolen socks that saved my life and health. Thank you Icelandic sheep wool :) We got back around lunch time and tonight I will be off again to Ystiklettur where I will spend the next two nights working on the Shearwaters with Jacob. Its going to be shitty weather tonight and tomorrow so think warm thoughts for me please :)