Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Well, finally I have arrived to the lovely Westmanislands, woohoooo :) Its very very very windy here and this morning me and Anna (from Austria) had to be very careful not to be blown off the cliffs. We went looking for sandlóa (ringed plover) and only found 3... bummer, but we saw loads of other bird species, among them some that I have never seen before. I even saw súlukast, which is the dive of the Gannet, quite close to the shore :) We saw puffins flying around and on the water but they dont seem to be on land during the day. We will check on them late tonight and see where they are then. I wont start the puffin project until next week so I will be helping out with a project on the bird skrofa (Manx Shearwater). That is a bird I didnt even know existed. Its a bit strange to be working with birds when I have NEVER worked with birds, but Im learning a lot and having great fun. I am a bit embarressed though not knowing or remembering things that I should and my austrian coworker knows more about the icelandic birds than I do ;) hmmmmm.....