Monday, August 16, 2004

Historical event took place Friday night. I went to my first Football game, n.b. my first "ball game" ever. Some of you may be shocked, some of you may say: Finally... Most of you know that I am so not interested in any ball games but I decided that I should give this a go since Australians are crazy about this game :) Australian football is a bit like rugby and the game was between Collingwood (Magpies) and Essendon (Bombers) with Essendon beating Collingwood. I went with Kylie and her dad who are Collingwood supporters but for me being non Australian it didn’t really matter who won, I was just excited being apart of the 55.000 people crowd in the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) and seeing what the fuss is all about. In the end my feminine instinct kicked in and I found myself cheering for the good looking boys and laughing how silly the umpires (judges) look like so going to the game did not change me much :)

We were surrounded by a strange crowd. In front of us was a Collingwood family sitting beside an Essendon family, both behaved but they gave each other strange looks all the time. The Collingwood father who seemed to have lived life to the edge half murmured and half shouted very regularly "Go Woods" or "Go Pies" usually when nothing was going on in the game. Behind us was a girl who shrieked all the time and beside me were two foul Collingwood supporters, guys around 30 and they were cursing and swearing the whole time. I am no prude but I could not believe the language they used, horrible scary blokes. They left after the second round when they realized Collingwood was not doing very well.
I had a very good time, it rained almost the whole time but we came prepared, warm clothes, raingear, food and lollies :)