Sunday, June 25, 2006

Surtsey is now my most favourite place in Iceland, simple as that. Every step on the island brought us amazing images and I have never been as mesmerized in my whole life. It was a privilege to be there since only scientists and special guests get permission the go there. Walking on this 40 year old island was like walking on fragile glass, but our footprints will soon be wiped out since the island is facing heavy erosion and within 100-150 years only the solid rock will be left standing.

We were lucky literaly to get there in the first place, the waves were very high and the rescue team had great difficulties getting us there. We were all put in wet suits and we were ferried along with our luggage on a small dingie. Waiting for us there were extremely curious grey seals, popping their heads up from the water and just staring at those strange creatures. Since my camera was safely tucked away I did not get any pictures of this adventure. And on the last day my memory card was full so I had to delete some photos... on top of that the camera battery died when I got on the boat so I dont have any photos of Surtsey from the boat. Big bummer...
The weather was so great on the way back that the rescue team agreed to take us for a sightseeing tour around the Westman Islands and going past Súlnasker and Hellisey was amazing. Its the biggest breeding place for the Gannet (Sula bassana - Súla) and those graceful birds filled the air while we passed the islands... Hopefully I will go with my friend Freydís to Hellisey later this summer and check out the Gannets more closesly :)

I want to thank Rosi, Ingvar, Steini and Kristján for the great company during those amazing days on Surtsey.

The pictures I took in Surtsey are only a fade shadow of what the island truly looks and feels like. I put more pics on my picture site.