Wednesday, November 03, 2004

What a tiring and exhausting week this has been... and its only wednesday !!! I put 100 traps up on Saturday and the rest on Monday. Sounds easy enough but Monday turned out to be crazy, first moving part of our lab and then I went in the field in the afternoon. Putting 100 traps up on my own and baiting the rest took me almost 4 hours and I managed to proof Murphy's law. Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong. I was dead tired already after moving all day and it was hot as hell. The flies were abosolutely eating me alive and I could not wave them away because I was holding traps and stuff. I lost two lines because I did them other way around and could not find the pink flagging tapes and had to walk for ages to find them. I forgot one line and had to go back to it. One trap broke and when I had fixed it the pin got lost that holds it together. I think I screamed twice and almost started to cry when I was desperately trying to find the bloodie pin. The weather was beautiful but I could not enjoy the views because I was so tired and depressed. Finally got home and I could not take a shower straight away because my legs were trembling too much and I thought I might fall :) THEN on tuesday morning I overslept and had Ilona, Kate and Kate's sister waiting for me, a complete panic !!! We did not get many animals and no babies... A big shock, at first I thought I had killed them all but when I checked the literature I realized that they might still be in the mums nest... So Im not too worried now... When I got to work after checking the traps we had to move my supervisors office stuff up two levels. Shes got soooo much stuff and I was just dead after that day. Im not feeling too bad today, my back is not hurting, which is a miracle, and I did stretches so Im not too stiff. I cannot wait untill this week is over...