Sunday, November 17, 2002

What can I say about the Whitsunday islands? I really dont have the words to describe how beautiful they are and how great time I had cruising around them but I will try ;) Our sailing boat is called The Card and we were 14 people and 4 crew members. The skippers name is Karl and he has only one eye like a real pirot and he told us stories about his colorfull life on sea. The great thing about the Card is that we got to help to get the sails up and down, hard work but it was fun and made us feel like we were doing something, not just sit and let the crew do everything. We snorkled in three places and there were giant fishes, colorfull corals and all kinds of clams and seastars. One of the highlights of the trip was the amazing Whiteheaven beach which is one of the 4 most beautiful beaches in the world. There I swam with a reefshark and couple of sting rays ;) The group was really good and we all became very close friends. One of the great things about the trip was to sleep outside on the boat, watching the stars and being rocked to sleep.
After the Whitsunday trip I stayed in Airlie beach for one night (the playboy party) and then me and Sharon went to Townsville which is a very nice city, here I saw aboriginals for the first time in my trip... beleave it or not. Some of them seem to be ok, but many of them just sit on the streets and drink. It is very sad to see that, specially because I love theire culture so much.
Yesterday me and Sharon and a Korean girl (cannot remember her name) went to the Magnetic island which is 20 minutes away from Townsville with ferry and there I tried Jet ski for the first time ;) Today there is a big market in Townsville and great atmosphere, entertainment on every corner and I am thinking about getting a massage later... ahhhhh... it is difficult to be a backpacker... ;)