Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Its been a long day, im in Copenhagen and totally exhausted. I didnt sleep one minute last night i was too excited ;) Im staying with my great friends Ingileif and Michael until Friday and then coming back to spend Christmas with them. One of the first danish i met was a very angry hot dog salesman who yelled at me because i didnt want mustard on my hot dog... I ran away when he turned red... Thankfully the next hot dog man was very nice and didnt yell :D
I still cant beleave im actually going back to Madagascar... Im meeting up with my travel partners tomorrow, i guess that will make the whole thing more real.

Ive been going through my last trip (2001) to Madagascar in my mind. I remember how me and Helga felt when we stepped out of the plane in Antananarivo (Tana) and were surrounded by identical looking men in blue costumes that tore our luggage away from us. It was very overwhealming and I remember the terrible feeling I had most of our time in Tana. The poverty is aching and there was no hope or joy in peoples eyes. There were children holding infants on their backs that chased us around the city everywhere we went, there were always 10-20 people waiting for us outside the hotel. The banks were like old wild wild west banks with no computers, the taxi drivers didnt know any directions and the cars were literally falling apart, we could look down at the street through holes. I only started to feel good when we finally got out of the city, it was magical to meet all the amazing animals in the rainforests and spiny forests: sifakas, brown lemurs, mouse lemurs, fossa, chameleons and so many bird species that i never knew what are called. Some of them might be undiscovered species. It was in the middle of the Ranomafana rainforest when i made the decision to be a film maker. I wanted to show people what was happening. More than 90% of the rainforest has been destroyed and all the amazing animals are in great danger. So going back to shoot a film on chameleons is a big dream coming true for me.

Hopefully i will get online regularly, i know there is at least one internet cafe in Tana hehe...

To be continued...